Friday, May 1, 2020

Covid-19 Update: May 1 2020


Before I sit down to write these brief updates every Friday, I try to remember how I was feeling the week before. Have the events of the week made me more hopeful and optimistic or I am more forlorn due to the continued uncertainty and depressing news stories?

Well, this week there has certainly been eventful locally, regionally, nationally, and globally.

I was most interested in reports about how Sweden is faring with its decision to allow schools and businesses to remain open. A number of experts predicted their Covid-19 contagion would exponentially grow, but this far they have had a very similar percentage (just a little higher) of Covid-19 contagion as other countries that opted for the stricter shelter-in-place restrictions.

Atlanta has gotten a lot of national exposure with the effectiveness of the drug remdesivir in an Emory University clinical trial. While certainly not a vaccine (although a number of potential ones are in currently in clinical trial), this drug has had a positive effect in speeding up the Covid-19 recovery time for infected patients.

Other states are beginning to open up businesses a little more. Like Goldilocks, for some people it’s too soon, for others too slow, for others just right.

Even the New York Jets had a decent draft! If we have an NFL season, maybe they can move into the mediocre level and be 8-8!

So overall I am feeling better this week compared to last.

Obviously the next two weeks are important for Georgia. As people begin to venture out more, we need to at least see a plateau or ideally a decline in those contracting Covid-19. I am hope Georgians continue to take appropriate precautions and follow CDC health and safety recommendations. Like you, I want to get back to school and a return to some semblance of normalcy but it’s going to take a while yet. Still, we’re beginning to inch ahead!

I did want to share a few student quotes about their thoughts about schools being closed from an article I read this week.

  • Learning at school definitely helps motivates me to get my work done because I’m in the environment to do work and there’s really nothing else I can do. At home I have the liberty to literally do anything other than schoolwork: 16 year old

  • Life without school is much more boring than I thought it would be: 14 year old

  • Every day I take a walk around my neighborhood with my parents and when I see my friends they tell me to stay six feet away. I get really sad I can’t be with them: 9 year old

  • My little brother asks every morning if the germs went away yet. He really misses school like me: 7 year old

  • I like our video morning meeting every day with my teachers and friends. It makes me feel like I’m still in school. My baby sister won’t leave me alone so I decided to let her join: 6 year old

And here’s the Corny Joke of the Week (courtesy of Drew Steinberg):

Did you hear about the kidnapping at school?

Oh, don’t worry. He woke up.

Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment