Friday, August 23, 2019

Mindframes for Teachers

This week’s article summary is a very short piece I read about John Hattie’s book 10 Mindframes for Visible Learning: Teaching for Success.

Many of us have been influenced by Hattie’s work and research, particularly the interconnection of three prongs of the Instructional Core: challenging and relevant content, effective teacher instructional practices, and student engagement.

While there’s certainly an art to great teaching, there’s a great deal of science as well—and Trinity over the past number of years in our goal to continuously hone and enhance our curriculum (what and how we teach and how we assess student learning) has learned more about by the science of effective teaching.

To Hattie, the most effective teachers keep the following ten “mindframes” at the forefront of their teaching and relationships with students:
·         I am an evaluator of my impact on student learning
·         I see assessment as informing my impact and next steps
·         I collaborate with my peers about my conceptions of progress and my impact
·         I am a change agent and believe all students can improve
·         I strive to provide my students with challenge and not merely have them “do their best”
·         I give feedback and help students understand it, and I interpret and act on feedback given to me
·         I engage as much in dialogue as monologue
·         I explicitly inform students from the outset what success looks like
·         I build relationships and trust so that learning can occur, where it is safe to make mistakes and learn from others
·         I identify and build on my students’ prior experiences and initial learning levels

As we finish the first full week of school and begin to settle into the routine and consistency of the school year, reminding ourselves and each other to what extent our classes reflect these mindframes will support our work as teachers and our impact on student leanring. Just like the mindframe about challenging our students, we need to do the same with ourselves.


Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment