This week’s article summary is A Classroom Management Rubric.
During my first few years of teaching, my biggest challenge was classroom management. I tended to swing back and forth between being too permissive and too strict, never quite finding the right balance.
It took years of trial and error, reflection, and experience to become more confident in organizing and overseeing a classroom. Over time, I learned how to navigate the inevitable ups and downs of a school day, respond to different student personalities and needs, establish clear expectations, and practice firm but fair discipline.
Which is why I wish I had had the classroom management rubric referenced in the article below. The rubric takes the enormous and sometimes overwhelming topic of classroom management and breaks it into 10 distinct areas—from classroom setup to closure activities. Each area is then divided into five specific practices, making it a practical tool for reflection and growth.
And as you’ll read, this rubric isn’t just for new teachers. It’s an excellent checklist for veteran teachers as well. Even after years in the classroom, it can be helpful for a teacher to step back and ask: What am I doing intentionally? What has simply become habit? Where might a small change make a meaningful difference?
The ability to organize and lead a classroom that is effective, efficient, caring, responsive, and communal is sometimes overlooked as an essential part of excellent teaching. Some aspects of classroom management may come more intuitively to some, but none of it happens by accident. A well-managed classroom requires intentional thought, careful planning, ongoing reflection, and a willingness to adjust.
And ultimately, good classroom management isn’t about “managing” students. It’s about creating the conditions in which students can learn, belong, and thrive.
ALT used the article’s rubric as a guide and developed a Classroom Checklist for Teachers specifically for Trinity — you can find it within the Faculty and Staff Resource Tile on MyTrinity.
Joe
-----
Developing a consistent classroom management system is a common struggle for most teachers. Regardless of whether they’re veterans or newbies, all educators can benefit in some way from a more practical setup that’s tailored to their needs.
As a veteran educator and teacher trainer, I’m flattered whenever educators attend my classroom management trainings or ask my for advice. My goal is to work with teachers so they can consider the status of their classroom’s organization and day-to-day operations, rather than immediately aiming for a “prescription” that will fix perceived issues.
Here is a handy self-assessment rubric Classroom Management Assessment teachers can use to tweak their classroom organization, strategies, and routines. It is a checklist of sorts; I encourage teacher to look at each of the key practices independently. For each practice, these are five related procedures that collectively demonstrate mastery.
Teachers should target the practices that they identify as needing the most improvement. Any practice with fewer than three check marks is a good candidate. I recommend to teachers that they select no more than five practices in total. In my experience, classroom setup, routines, directions, time management, and task supervision are the most crucial classroom management practices—especially for newer educators. I refer to these practices as the “principal five.”
A more seasoned veteran might score better on the “principal five” practices than the other five key practices. In my own classroom, I tend to score lower on practices like feedback and closure. Both are closely linked to another practice: time management. I only came to that conclusion after doing some reflection about which boxes I was checking off.
Many teachers I’ve worked with seem surprised that the changes I suggest are not very rigid, nor are they full of rules and consequences.
I assure teachers that my classroom is a work in progress and theirs will be too. Great teachers constantly question their methods and procedures, tweak what doesn’t work, expand best practices, and keep their eye on the “status of the class.”
No comments:
Post a Comment