Thursday, August 11, 2022

Teaching Advice in Seven Words or Less

Thank you all for an uplifting and motivating first week of preplanning! So much positive energy, camaraderie, and dialogue!

For me, there’s always a blend of excitement and nervousness as we begin prepping for and putting the finishing touches on what’s needed for a smooth opening of school as we get ready to welcome back our students and their parents.

I always enjoy preplanning (much more comprehensive in Atlanta compared to other schools I’ve worked in across the country), especially the opportunity for us to learn, grow, collaborate, and socialize together.

For those of you new to Trinity, most Fridays during the school year, I send out a summary of an educational article that piqued my interest and that I hope provokes thought in you as well.

I don’t necessarily agree with every article, yet I really enjoy the ones that make me think, challenge me to reflect on my educational beliefs, and perhaps even confront my educational biases. As we discussed in this morning’s meeting, a little cognitive dissonance is good for everyone!

This week’s article is Advice from Teachers in Seven Words or Less.

Back in June, the publication Education Week asked teachers to provide advice for other teachers in 7 words or less.

As we get prepare for another school year, take a few moments to think about and reflect on the words of wisdom that are relevant in the classroom and also in our daily lives. I was struck by how the quotes affirmed our discussion topics this week: Growth Mindset, Process of Learning, Teaching as a Calling, Need for Grace and Forgiveness, Multi-Dimensionality of Everyone, Importance of Laughter, Community of Learners, Empathy.

Enjoy the final weekend of summer!

 Joe

 --------

 Give yourself permission to make mistakes

 Success is failure all grown up

 Teach with passion, love, and patience

 Give grace, receive grace, accept grace

 The best teachers know their students’ stories

 Humor is good for learning. Seriously!

 Behavior challenges? What if it’s me?

 Students aren’t the only learners in class

 Reflection is powerful: pause, think, then speak

No comments:

Post a Comment